Abe’s Youth (provisional title, under contract with Indiana University Press) is co-edited with William “Bill” Bartelt. The book unearths vital primary source material and culls together the Lincoln Inquiry’s most historically rigorous and significant contributions with illuminating and insightful annotations.
Born of Clay charts the remarkable story of the Claiborne · Claybourn · Clayborn families in the United States beginning with Joshua Clyburn in the late 1790s. This book clocks in at over 500 pages and offers an unparalleled history of a family that spawned a number of leaders in engineering (especially with the Panama Canal), sports, and the law and politics.
Legal Publications and Teaching
- “Trump Administration Looks to Boost Private Activity Bonds,” 2x4x10, American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry, Winter 2017.
- “The Opportunities and Pitfalls of Local Human Rights Ordinances,” The Network, a publication of the Indiana State Bar Association (July 2016). Winner of the Donald R. Lundberg Writing Award presented annually by the Indiana State Bar Association.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Evansville, 2013. Taught Business Organizations (LS 350), a course on the legal organization of business entities, emphasizing the role of lawyers in forming various business organizations.
- Research assistant to Prof. Gerard Magliocca (Indiana University McKinney School of Law). Assisted in the research and composition of Constitutional False Positives and the Populist Movement, 81 NOTRE DAME L. REV. 821 (2006). My research for this article also contributed to a subsequent book: Andrew Jackson and the Constitution: The Rise and Fall of Generational Regimes (Lawrence: U of Kansas Press, 2007).
- Executive Articles Editor, Indiana Health Law Review, Vol. 3. Solicited and edited articles; ultimately responsible for accepting or rejecting articles submitted for publication in volume 3, which was comprised of two issues featuring ten articles, four student notes, and a symposium.
- Abraham Lincoln’s Youth: Works from Indiana’s Lincoln Inquiry [provisional title], under contract with Indiana University Press (co-editor with William Bartelt).
- Born of Clay, Claybourn Genealogical Society, 2016.
- The Life and Ancestry of Betty Jean Morrow, Claybourn Genealogical Society, 2016.
- A Memorandum of the 80th Illinois Infantry by Armstrong McGee (edited by Joshua A. Claybourn), Claybourn Genealogical Society, 2014.
Popular Press Publications
This list reflects a portion of some pieces that are still available online. Additional commentary has appeared on television on CNN, MSNBC, and NHK.
- Welcome to Evansville, Howey Politics Indiana, 7 June 2018.
- The Reformation: 5 Ways it Changed Our World, Patheos, 30 October 2017.
- Leave health care up to states, USA Today, 7 August 2017. (Also published in News-Sentinal, Courier & Press, and Kokomo Tribune.)
- HUD block grants going where they’re least needed, News-Sentinal, 14 July 2017. (Also published in the Herald Times and Kokomo Tribune.)
- We Need To All See The American Declaration As Abraham Lincoln Did, The Federalist, 4 July 2017.
- In defense of Hoosier home rule, Indianapolis Star, 7 May 2017. (Also published in Courier & Press.)
- General Assembly home rule encroachments, Howey Politics Indiana, 6 May 2017.
- WWI Anniversary: A Reminder of American Exceptionalism, American Thinker, 6 April 2017.
- Erasing History Makes Us More Likely To Repeat Its Mistakes, The Federalist, 20 February 2017.
- Gov. Pence faced comparison with Daniels, Howey Politics Indiana, 17 February 2017.
- The Bannon-Trump Arc of History, American Spectator, 13 February 2017.
- How Congress made it easier to sue Israel, The Hill, 6 Feb. 2017.
- Republicans face a great fork in the road, Howey Politics Indiana, 2 February 2017.
- Suing the Saudis Would Be a Mistake, The American Spectator, 4 November 2016.
- Five Legal and Constitutional Concerns with Indiana’s Public Question 1, Evansville Courier & Press, 30 October 2016.
- Trump Veep Pence Shies From Another Religious Liberty Battle In Indiana, The Federalist, 17 August 2016.
- Suzanne Crouch Knows How To Govern, Howey Politics Indiana, 2 August 2016.
- Dumping Trump Would Be Undemocratic And Counterproductive, The Federalist, 13 July 2016.
- Why You Should Wear Orange This Saint Patrick’s Day, The Federalist, 17 March 2016.
- Civil War helped shape modern America, Evansville Courier & Press, 9 April 2015.
- Was Jesus really crucified on a Wednesday?, Patheos, 16 April 2014.
- Both Masons and their lodge face a perilous future, Evansville Courier & Press, 22 May 2011.
- Claybourn Genealogical Society: I began the Claybourn Genealogical Society (CGS) to provide leadership in assembling and recording data and information on ancestors and descendants of the Claybourn families and to cultivate the ties of friendship among their descendants. CGS also works to preserve and safeguard manuscripts, books, cemeteries, and memorabilia relating to Claybourns.
- Civil War Scholarship & Research: My passion for the American Civil War and historic research in this field is strong. I maintain memberships and leadership positions with a number of Civil War organizations. I am also in the process of researching and writing a new regimental history.
- Claybourn Rare Book Collection: The Claybourn Rare Book Collection consists of numerous books with publication dates ranging from the seventeenth to the twentieth centuries along with a number of signed first editions. In addition to the Rare Book Collection, we also maintain several other collections of historic printed or published writings.
- “Municipal Resolutions, Ordinances and Codifications,” Indiana League of Municipal Clerks and Treasurers (2018)
- “Consolidation of Local Income Taxes,” Jackson Kelly PLLC Municipal Law Seminar (2017)
- “The Arc of Our New History,” Indiana Political Science Association (2017)
- “The American Presidency” (Roundtable), Indiana Political Science Association (2017, 2018)
- “Little Egypt Goes to War,” Southern Indiana Civil War Roundtable (2017)
- “Lincoln’s Almanac Trial,” Southern Indiana Civil War Roundtable (2015)
- “Post-Civil War Fraternities,” Southern Indiana Civil War Roundtable (2014)