Our American Story features a collection of provocative essays by leading thinkers and public figures addressing the same central question—what is the unifying American story? Following decades of tribal division, we lack a central story to celebrate and enrich with deeper meaning. This book explores whether a unifying story can be achieved and, if so, what that story may be.
Abe’s Youth, co-edited with William “Bill” Bartelt, unearths vital primary source material and provides the first fully annotated edition of Lincoln Inquiry papers. This volume offers indispensable reading for anyone hoping to investigate Abraham Lincoln’s youth and serves as a gateway for general readers into the environment of Lincoln’s early life.
- Claybourn, Joshua A., ed. Our American Story: The Search for a Shared National Narrative. Lincoln, Neb.: Potomac Books, 2019.
- Bartelt, William E., and Joshua A. Claybourn, eds. Abe’s Youth: Collected Works from Indiana’s Lincoln Inquiry. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2019.
- Claybourn, Joshua A., ed. Born of Clay. Newburgh, Ind.: Claybourn Genealogical Society, 2016.
- Claybourn, Joshua A., ed. The Life and Ancestry of Betty Jean Morrow. Newburgh, Ind.: Claybourn Genealogical Society, 2016.
- McGee, Armstrong. A Memorandum of the 80th Illinois Infantry. Edited by Joshua A. Claybourn. Newburgh, Ind.: Claybourn Genealogical Society, 2014.
Academic / Legal Publications and Teaching
- “The Opportunities and Pitfalls of Local Human Rights Ordinances,” The Network, a publication of the Indiana State Bar Association (July 2016). Winner of the Donald R. Lundberg Writing Award presented annually by the Indiana State Bar Association.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Evansville, 2013. Taught Business Organizations (LS 350), a course on the legal organization of business entities, emphasizing the role of lawyers in forming various business organizations.
- Research assistant to Prof. Gerard Magliocca (Indiana University McKinney School of Law). Assisted in the research and composition of Constitutional False Positives and the Populist Movement, 81 NOTRE DAME L. REV. 821 (2006). My research for this article also contributed to a subsequent book: Andrew Jackson and the Constitution: The Rise and Fall of Generational Regimes (Lawrence: U of Kansas Press, 2007).
- Executive Articles Editor, Indiana Health Law Review, Vol. 3. Solicited and edited articles; ultimately responsible for accepting or rejecting articles submitted for publication in volume 3, which was comprised of two issues featuring ten articles, four student notes, and a symposium.
- Frederick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom by David W. Blight, Compulsive Reader, 15 September 2018.
- Identity by Francis Fukuyama, JoshClaybourn.com, 6 September 2018.
- Jack Weatherford on Genghis Khan, JoshClaybourn.com, 13 August 2018.
Popular Press Publications
- Welcome to Evansville, Howey Politics Indiana, 7 June 2018.
- The Reformation: 5 Ways it Changed Our World, Patheos, 30 October 2017.
- Leave health care up to states, USA Today, 7 August 2017. (Also in News-Sentinal, Courier & Press, and Kokomo Tribune.)
- HUD block grants going where they’re least needed, News-Sentinal, 14 July 2017. (Also published in the Herald Times and Kokomo Tribune.)
- We Need To All See The American Declaration As Abraham Lincoln Did, The Federalist, 4 July 2017.
- In defense of Hoosier home rule, Indianapolis Star, 7 May 2017. (Also published in Courier & Press.)
- General Assembly home rule encroachments, Howey Politics Indiana, 6 May 2017.
- WWI Anniversary: A Reminder of American Exceptionalism, American Thinker, 6 April 2017.
- Erasing History Makes Us More Likely To Repeat Its Mistakes, The Federalist, 20 February 2017.
- Gov. Pence faced comparison with Daniels, Howey Politics Indiana, 17 February 2017.
- The Bannon-Trump Arc of History, American Spectator, 13 February 2017.
I focus much of my research on Abraham Lincoln—his youth, his life, and his lasting legacy. Some of the research yielded a book, Abe’s Youth, co-edited with William Bartelt, along with numerous articles. I am also working on a complete history of Lincoln’s youth in Kentucky and Indiana. Read more here.
- “Municipal Resolutions, Ordinances and Codifications,” Indiana League of Municipal Clerks and Treasurers (2018)
- “Consolidation of Local Income Taxes,” Jackson Kelly PLLC Municipal Law Seminar (2017)
- “The Arc of Our New History,” Indiana Political Science Association (2017)
- “The American Presidency” (Roundtable), Indiana Political Science Association (2017, 2018)
- “Little Egypt Goes to War,” Southern Indiana Civil War Roundtable (2017)
- “Lincoln’s Almanac Trial,” Southern Indiana Civil War Roundtable (2015)
- “Post-Civil War Fraternities,” Southern Indiana Civil War Roundtable (2014)